Prominent Character Actor, Theatrical Clown, Commedia Dell’Arte & Mask Theatre Specialist, Stilt Performer & Trainer and Teaching Artist from Brisbane, Australia. With over 15 years' committed to developing new works and training extensively, Clint regularly performs in Australia and internationally in the United Kingdom, Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
Recently accepted into the Cirque du Soleil team of Clowns for future productions.
Clint is a proud Queensland Board Member and Mentor for The Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance, and Board Member for Indel-Ability Arts. He also plays the German Hand Bells.
“Clint Bolster’s detailed and beguiling performance is sublimely breathtaking” ★★★★★ – Ian Billings, Comedian & Author, UK (2017)
· Writer, Director & Performer in Walkie Talkie in Hong Kong - an original sketch comedy show. Collaboration between Homunculus Theatre Company & Shakespeare4All. (2019)
· The Bureau of Magical Things. Production Company: Jonathan M. Shiff Productions, Australian Television Programme, Channel 11. Role - Clown. Director: Evan Clarry (2018).
· Actor in Shock Therapy Productions, Welcome To Sameville for The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games. (2018).
· Artist in Residence with Mt Pajeo Wandering Dolls – Russia – (June 2021)
· Summer School with German-based Mask Theatre Company - Familie Floz in Italy (July 2021).
· Summer School with Antonio Fava – Commedia Specialist - in Italy (August 2021).
· Writer, Director & Performer in Walkie Talkie in Hong Kong - an original sketch comedy show. Collaboration between Homunculus Theatre Company & Shakespeare4All. (2018)
· Queensland Host for Wakakirri - Wakakirri is Australia’s largest Story-Dance Festival, involving over 20,000 students across every State and Territory each year. (2017, 2018)
· DENNIS as part of The Short & Sweet Festival Queensland – Theatre Strand 1 Audience Choice Award Winner – “Clint Bolster’s detailed and beguiling performance is sublimely breathtaking” ★★★★★ – Ian Billings, Comedian & Author, UK (2017)
· The Southern Cross Soloists String Quartet Gala For Young People - The Bangalow Music Festival (2017)
· 2 Week Artist In- Residence with Shakespeare4All Hong Kong.(2017)
· 3 Month International Exchange and Professional Development & Creative Residency with Vamos Theatre Company – The UK’s leading Mask Theatre Company. Clint Bolster received financial assistance from the Queensland Government through the Arts Queensland Individual Professional Development Grant Initiative. (2017)
· The role of Ringmaster Z for Creative Generation State Schools Arena Spectacular, Department Of Education and Training at The Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre. (2016)
· Clown MC in Disruptive Camouflage for Wonderland Festival at The Brisbane Powerhouse. (2016)
· Lead role of Ringmaster Z in the circus spectacular ZIRCUS at Jupiter’s Theatre, Hotel & Casino — “…a friendly version of Jack Nicholson as the Joker leading the way, we laugh, we gasp, clap and gape!” – Last Minute Live - (2015)
· Sell out seasons of Debase Productions, Hurry Up And Wait at The Awesome Festival – International Theatre Festival for Young People in Perth, (2016) Toowoomba USQ Theatre (2016), Redlands Performing Arts Centre (2016), Sydney –Dame Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre (2015), The Queensland Library (2015), Brisbane Festival at The Spiegeltent (2014), after returning from a statewide in-schools tour with Queensland Theatre Company (2011) on the back of seasons at Kijimoona International Theatre Festival For Young People in Japan (2013), 3 Month Tour to venues in Fukuoka Japan with Kazenoko Theatre Company (Thanks to the help of Arts Queensland Funding) (2013) and Edinburgh Fringe Festival (2012) where the show received 5 stars critical acclaim —-“If you don’t have children, find some and take them or simply take yourself – you’ll love it!””– Broadway Baby, Edinburgh, “… the audience, children and parents alike, are in constant fits of laughter. At the end of the show I heard one child ask, ‘Can we watch it again?’” ★★★★★ – Informed Edinburgh, “A truly happy, fun and intelligent show.” ★★★★★ Broadway Baby, Edinburgh
· The Three Little Endangered Animals for Artslink Queensland (2013)
· Suckers by Harvest Rain Theatre Company - "Clint Bolster magnifies his movement and facial expressions as the shady salesman. He has had a decade to familiarise himself with the art of clowning, and it shows in this performance" -★★★★★ - Meredith McLean, XS Entertainment. (2012)
· The Little Green Road to Fairy Land for Queensland Music Festival —-“…hilarious and brilliantly performed…judging from the abundance of smiles, laughter, and enthusiastic applause, both children and adults alike were mesmerised, entertained and enchanted for the entire performance!", Nelson Lau, Critical Mass (2014)
· Cafe Floriani - Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia & Tasmania Secondary Schools Tours - Co-Presented by Transient Theatre Company, Nexus Arts Victoria, The Queensland Arts Council, Artslink Queensland, Lightwire Theatrical Productions & Homunculus Theatre Company. "I laughed until I cried!" -- Robyn Hickey, St Mary District School, Tasmania. ★★★★★ (2004 - 2015)
· The Spirit Of The Mask - Queensland Secondary Schools Tour - Co-Presented by Transient Theatre Company, The Queensland Arts Council, Artslink Queensland, Lightwire Theatrical Productions & Homunculus Theatre Company. "A fantastic introduction to Commedia and the use of the mask. Great to have the students actively involved. Very skilled performers: quick-witted and experienced improvisers. Excellent production.”★★★★★ -- Castle Hill High, NSW (2004 - 2018)
· Thoughts Have Feelings Too - Queensland Primary Schools Tour - Co-Presented by Transient Theatre Company, The Queensland Arts Council, Artslink Queensland, Lightwire Theatrical Productions & Homunculus Theatre Company. Supported by The Mental Health Association Of Queensland. "The best performance that I’ve ever seen—very entertaining. Very professional. Very talented! Most appropriate material! ★★★★★-- St Francis Xavier, QLD (2004 - 2018)
· 20 Lazzis In A Hat - Queensland Secondary Schools Tour - Homunculus Theatre Company. "Brisbane Drama Teachers are so lucky to have such a valuable resource as Homunculus Theatre Company available to them - I have many colleagues in other parts of the world who are absolutely envious that I have Commedia specialists on my doorstep!” ★★★★★-- Padua College, QLD (2015 - 2018)
· Absurd4 - Queensland Secondary Schools Tour - Homunculus Theatre Company. "A brilliant clown!" ★★★★★ --Molly, Brumm, Drama Co-Ordinator, Samford Valley Steiner School, QLD (2015 - 2018)
· Heaven, Hell & Tango – 2 Ballerinas directed by Rosetta Cook (first stage funded by Arts Queensland) (2015)
· Much Ado about Nothing and The Wind in the Willows for 4MBS Classic FM (2012)
· The Search For The 5th Element and Booff In Concert for Universal Studios Japan Osaka (2006)
· The Ruins - Feature Film - Extra - Beach Guy (2008)
· Aerial Angels Stilts for Aerial Angels Productions and Jupiter’s Casino (2005)
· The Treasure Hunt Clowns with Collusion Ensemble (2004)
· Freak Street for Woodford Folk Festival (2004)
Clint is currently in creative development with The Southern Cross Soloists for a show entitled "The Secret Lives Of Composers," as the Lead Clown MC and plays the bells and theremin.
He is also a key performer in "The Bubble Effect: Disco Show – for More Than Mime Theatre" - a giant projected bubble encapsulating a performer who blends circus aerials and dance in a one-hour event.
In development for "DENNIS" - a moving and heart-warming non-verbal, full face mask theatre production. This is a story of a lonely, loveable and misunderstood character, who lives by himself in a small flat in Worcester, UK. Dennis has always wanted to fall in love; however, so far, he has never attained it. He has seen what love is supposed to be - on the television, couples holding hands in the streets, the next-door neighbours’ dogs every Sunday morning. However, Dennis himself has never had a companion ... until now! Funny and poignant, Dennis explores the human condition and is written and performed by Clint.
His mentors include Annie Lee of The Kransky Sisters, Derek Scott of Slavas Snow Show, Margi Brown Ash of Force OF Circumstance and Tony Kishawi of Commedia Unmasked.
Clint is experienced and sought after Teacher- Artist of 15 years, leading many workshops and artist in residency programs throughout Australia, New Zealand, Asia & Europe for Young People, University Students, Adults and Elders.
· Homunculus Theatre Company
· Manoeuvre Stilt Performers Australia
· The Mask Family
· Shakespeare4All Hong Kong
· Faust Theatre Company Hong Kong
· Vamos Theatre Company UK
· Queensland Theatre Company
· LaBoite Theatre Company
· Australian Catholic University
· University of Southern Queensland
· Queensland University of Technology
· Griffith University
· The Queensland Conservatorium Of Music
· The University of Tasmania
· The Aboriginal Centre for Performing Arts
· Drama Queensland
· Drama New South Wales
· Drama Victoria
· Drama Tasmania
· Drama Australia
· Drama New Zealand
· Queensland Music Festival
· Backbone Youth Arts
· Nexus Arts Victoria
· The Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance
“It gives me great pleasure to recommend Clint Bolster to you. I have known Clint for 14 years now and have observed his work as a professional practitioner and as a tutor at QUT. As a practitioner, Clint is one of the most versatile, gifted and skilled performers in Commedia, Clown, Mask and Physical Comedy. I believe his experience working and training overseas has much to do with this. Clint’s expertise is at a very high level, and from the first time I saw him work and witnessed how professional his outlook was, I encouraged him to seek overseas experience. Through his theatre company Homunculus, Clint has invigorated the Australian Theatre Community with his unique brand of comedy. Clint has been tutoring in my Performing Skills Unit at QUT for the past six years, and the students have found him to be one of the best tutors they have ever experienced. This is attested in his high ranked teaching evaluations and written comments. He is an extremely dedicated and professional teacher who brings a wealth of industry knowledge to the students. Not all practitioners can teach: Clint is an exception to this rule! “
---Caroline Heim, QUT Performance Skills Co-Coordinator, QLD
"It is a delight to watch Clint work with students and the artful way he has of drawing them out of their comfort zones to have fun and learn much about the characters and themselves is extraordinary. The genuine love of his art form, along with his manner, depth of knowledge and experience, is evident and provides the surety and confidence that teachers need when organising guest artists. I have had the privilege of watching Clint work with both adults and high school students in different workshop settings and the expertise, care and respect; he shows them all he is consistently excellent. I have no hesitation in recommending Clint and Homunculus to anyone looking for this type of expertise."
---Sue Pearn, Drama Teacher, All Hallows, QLD
· Arts Queensland – Individual Professional Development Grant for Maneouvre Roving Stilt Performers Australia – UK Project – (2012)
· Arts Queensland – individual Professional Development Grant for Clint Bolster – 3 Month Artist In Residence – Vamos Theatre UK – (2017)
· Arts Queensland – The Showcase Program – The Mask Family – Roving Theatre Acts – Australia & New Zealand – (2017)
· Queensland University of Technology (2003 -2005)
· VAMOS Theatre Company UK (2017)
· Queensland Shakespeare Ensemble (2004 - 2005)
· Theatre Activ8 (2004)
· Zen Zen Zo Physical Theatre (2003 - 2005)
· Frank Theatre (2005)
· Debase Productions (2003 - 2010)
· Expressions Dance Company (2008)
· 2 Ballerinas (2014)
· Queensland Ballet (2009)
· The Angry Mime Summer School (2003, 2004, 2005, 2007)
· Transient Theatre Company (2003 - 2009)
· Lightwire Theatrical Productions (2010 - 2013)
HOMUNCULUS THEATRE COMPANY
Clint is founder and Artistic Director of Homunculus Theatre Company (2003 - 2017).
“Homunculus Theatre Company are absolutely brilliant! There is certainly no theatre company who does Commedia dell'arte like Homunculus in Australia! Our students and staff had so much fun! I guarantee you’ll be in stitches after the show! " ★★★★★
-- Clontarf Beach State High School, Qld.
Homunculus has contributed 15 years to delighting and inspiring audiences across Australia and New Zealand. We offer a wide range of In-Schools Workshops & Performances, Artist In Residence Programs, Professional Development for Teachers, Roving Acts and Regional Community Projects.
Homunculus specialises in Commedia Dell’Arte, Traditional & Contemporary Clowning, Mask Theatre, Physical Comedy, Non-Verbal Communication &Mime, Absurdism, Physical Theatre & Circus, Melodrama, Brecht, Political Satire, Clowns In Shakespeare and Slapstick & Stage Combat.
Homunculus believes the Arts should be central to a child’s education. Drama particularly has a vital place in the lives of young people in the 21st Century. In an age when people are increasingly interacting and indeed living via and inside of technology, it is the subject and practice of comedy that offers what otherwise can so easily be lost from our lives.
MANOEUVRE STILT PERFORMERS AUSTRALIA
In addition to Homunculus, Clint owns and manages Manoeuvre Roving Stilt Performers Australia (1988 - ).
"Manoeuvre has a wonderfully wide range of acts and performers who are professional and very entertaining to a crowd of any size. They are excellent at communicating with you and extremely well organised. Thank you Manoeuvre for making our events ones to remember for all who came along!" ★★★★★-- Maddison Byrne, Sponsorship & Marketing Administrator, Brisbane Racing Club.
Manoeuvre is Queensland’s premier roving stilt performance company. It has been providing roving stilt acts to School Fetes, Product Launces, Shopping Centres, Community Events, Festivals, Parades, Weddings, Nightclubs and Corporate Events worldwide for over 25 years to over 4.5 million audience members.
Represented by 64 Entertainment Agents worldwide, Manoeuvre is much more than merely “walkers.” These stilt performers (highly trained dancers & physical theatre performers), while strutting, looping and dancing through the crowd, stimulate the imagination, inspire joy and offer an engaging, playful and interactive experience for audiences of all sizes. Manoeuvre performers can duck under doorways, travel in lifts and walk short distances in lower clearance areas, up and down hills and beaches.
Expo 88 Originals, for ten years they have entertained the masses at Woodford Folk Festival, The Brisbane EKKA, Brisbane Festival, Nundah Festival and Childers Multicultural Festival; Opened Stores for Loui Vuitton Stores in Singapore and Year Long Residencies at The Family Night Club Brisbane, to name a few. Manoeuvres characters are available separately or in combination. While they most frequently appear as a duo, they are also available as solo characters or in groups of 3, 4 or 5.
THE MASK FAMILY - ROVING ACTS
Clint is also the Artistic Director of The Mask Family - a suite of full-face non-verbal mask theatre acts that connect directly to the heart. This accessible, inclusive, magical roving theatre is sensitive to its audiences and reflective of the increasingly multi-cultural society we live in.
Highly visual, interactive, non-intrusive and non-language dependent, this unique form of roving theatre transcends barriers of age, language and culture.
Performed by an ensemble of 7 internationally renowned and critically acclaimed Australian physical theatre performers The Mask Family are brilliantly realised, utilising many decades of live performance experience.
The Mask Family Acts are available separately or in combination and work most effectively as a trio.
Available now, throughout Australia & New Zealand, for Festivals, Shopping Centres, Product Launches, Parades, Nightclubs and Corporate Events - or any other occasion.
All of The Mask Family acts are highly adaptable to suit a broad range of events. They are highly versatile and completely adjustable to your specific needs. We will happily customise the acts to suit your particular event requirements.
This Project has received financial assistance from the Queensland Government through the Arts Queensland Showcase Program.